Shiriki Webinar Series Materials - OpenMRS Concept Dictionary Governance and Management
This panel targeted implementers of health information systems that collect patient-level data and specifically for the implementers, developers, and managers of OpenMRS both internationally and at the country level.
Many PEPFAR-funded countries use electronic medical records (EMRs) to manage patient and related data to support HIV/TB program implementation and improvement, case surveillance, and epidemic control. Several countries have adopted OpenMRS  as an EMR platform. A fundamental building block of OpenMRS implementation is the use of a concept dictionary (CD)  to define concepts used in patient care and map patient and related data to defined concepts. The Columbia International eHealth Laboratory (CIEL) and the Millennium Villages Project developed a de facto standard CD within the OpenMRS community. The process of managing this CD is currently being supplanted by a more dynamic subscription approach via the Open Concept Lab (OCL) for OpenMRS module project. OCL is a cloud-based dictionary management platform that publishes a subset of curated concepts from CIEL (or another source dictionary) which can then be subscribed to by OpenMRS implementations through the OCL client. . Challenges related to the use of CDs in OpenMRS include:
- Suboptimal turnaround times on concept-related requests made by OpenMRS developers
- Developers lack the full breadth of domain expertise required to create, or reuse, concepts for local use cases
- Various in-country implementations of OpenMRS may result in non-harmonized CDs
- Lack of governance mechanisms and processes to harmonize and maintain CDs .
- OpenMRS Wiki
- OpenMRS concept dictionary
- The MVP-CIEL Concept Dictionary
- EMR concept dictionary convergence discussions from Kenya-TAP meetings (Palladium, CDC Kenya, TAP implementing partners [PATH, UCSF], CDC HQ)
The goal of this Shiriki webinar panel series was to convene a panel of experts to discuss the following broad topics:
- Panel 1: May 4, 8:00-9:30 EDT: Panelists will provide a conceptual overview of the OpenMRS CD, pitfalls and challenges in CD governance and terminology management implementation, and opportunities for collaboration among key stakeholders.
- Panel 2: May 11, 8:00-9:30 EDT: Countries who have implemented OpenMRS to share experiences on the CD governance and Terminology Management (TM) challenges and how these have been addressed and lessons learned.
- Panel 3: May 18, 8:00-9:30 EDT: Countries share insights into how cross-country collaborations will help address CD governance and TM, and identify partnerships, roles, and resources to improve CD governance and TM.
Panels 1 & 2
Panel 3: Country Insight on Concept Dictionary Governance and Management (May 18th 2021)
Panel Summary: Panelists shared insights into how cross-country collaborations will help address CD governance and management, and identify partnerships, roles and resources to improve CD management. OpenMRS will be providing a demonstration of how their system works in relation to the CD.